A constant challenge for us at Get Down Town, as is true for many grassroots creative endeavors, is coming up with the funds to sustain our publication. So, we decided that instead of continuing to fundraise through ads and generous donations, we should just win tonight's $1.5 billion Powerball jackpot! Here are some of our ideas for how Get Down Town could spend the winnings:
- Fix Angel's Flight and reopen Angel's Knoll park so Downtowners can access more green space and so we can show our grandparents when they come to town.
- Form an artist's fund that pays artists to be artists so that they can continue creating art without being broke.
- Buy the Broad museum (although $1.5 billion might not be enough) and rename it Musée du Jackpot.
- Buy all the USC fraternity and sorority houses on W 28th St. and convert them into socialist apartment complexes for currently homeless Angelenos languishing on bureaucratic housing waitlists.
- Refund Planned Parenthood.
- Buy the Art deco Garfield Building on 8th St. and convert it into an artists-coop with a ground floor cafe/bookstore and a sprawling rooftop garden.
- Invest in the LA River's green redevelopment to create the most magnificent public park the world has ever seen.
- Hire world renowned journalists to travel deep into the jungle to interview notorious drug lords for Get Down Town Issue 3.
- Take on the NRA Kurt Vonnegut style by developing technology that destroys guns and weapons through mind power.
- Buy a farm in the south of France and drink a lot of rosé.
We're open to more ideas. Let us know if you have a proposal! •